Elder Law and Nursing Home Issues
Protecting Your Retirement and Your Heirs
The Golden Years are supposed to provide an opportunity to enjoy the fruits of all those years of labor. Unfortunately, health problems can create financial hardships and force the elderly to deplete their retirement savings. It is never too soon to begin planning and don't wait until its too late.
The Law Offices of John G. McNally, P.C., in Trenton, Michigan, can help senior citizens or their caregivers protect assets and plan for nursing home care. John McNally is a third-generation lawyer who has practiced in the Downriver area for nearly 20 years. He has extensive experience in all aspects of estate planning and elder law.
Trenton Elder Law Attorney
The term elder law refers to a range of legal issues that affect people in their retirement years. One of the greatest challenges is planning for the high cost of nursing home care. Mr. McNally can help:
- Plan ahead to finance nursing care through trusts or long-term care insurance
- Qualify for Medicaid nursing home assistance without depleting the family fortune
- Preserve the family home when one or both spouses enter nursing care
Ideally, nursing home planning begins several years in advance of a health crisis. Assets can be gradually gifted to your heirs through annual allowances, but you cannot simply sign over the deed to the house a month before going into the nursing home. We will walk you through all your current options and help protect as many assets as possible.
Protection From Elder Abuse
Sadly, retirees are a prime target for financial abuse, sometimes by strangers and sometimes by unscrupulous members of their own families. McNally Law Offices can counsel elderly clients who want to protect themselves or adult children who are concerned that their parents are vulnerable to theft or coercion.
- One option is to establish power of attorney, appointing a son, daughter or trusted person to take over financial affairs. This could take effect immediately or in the future.
- If a parent has already lost the mental ability to control his or her affairs, it may be necessary to petition the court for legal guardianship and/or conservatorship.
- If you believe that your elderly parent has been taken advantage of, we will take all action necessary to stop the abuse and get the money back.
- If you believe your family member died or suffered injury from negligence or neglect in a nursing home, we can help you explore legal action against the facility.
Speak With a Michigan Lawyer With Experienced Advocacy for the Elderly
Law Offices of John G. McNally, P.C.
140 Saint Joseph Street
Trenton, MI 48183
Phone: (734) 676-3210